So a new adventure has commenced; World Cup 2018 is happening after 4 years of long wait. Some fun facts about FIFA 2018:
- Russia was chosen for the first time in history to host 21st year of FIFA world cup since it’s establishment in 1930 in Uruguay. It was granted the right to host in 2010.
- 32 teams are participating in the competition this year and will be held in 11 cities across Russia i.e
- Saint Petersburg
- Nizhny Novgorod
- Moscow(this city will b hosting the finals)
- Each host city will be represented by elected ambassadors such as famous people who were either born in those cities, or are somehow related to them. The ambassadors of the World Cup promote sports and healthy lifestyle and promote the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
- In October 2014 the FIFA unveiled the brand identity and its official emblem. The principal theme being folk motives featuring Firebirds, Matryoshkas and folk patterns.
- Brazil holds most no. of titles with 5 & Italy and Germany close behind with 4 each.
- Teams reaching the top four are: BRAZIL (5 Titles – 1958,1962,1970,1994, 2002), GERMANY( 4 Titles – 1954,1974,1990,2014), ITALY (4 Titles – 1934, 1938, 1982, 2006), ARGENTINA (2 Titles – 1978, 1986), URUGUAY( 2 Titles – 1930, 1950), FRANCE (1 Title – 1998), ENGLAND (1 Title – 1966), SPAIN (1 Title – 2010)
- Top goal scorers at World Cup tournaments – Miroslav Klose (16), Cristiano Ronaldo (15) & Gerd Muller(14)
- Zimbabwe will not be a part of Fifa World Cup this year because was coach was not paid his fee.
- Italy have had most no. of draws in the world cup history and isn’t going to be participating this year because it didn’t quality.
- Indonesia played least no. of matches – Just one since 1938 however, because of its govts. interference, this team has been disqualified from World Cup 2018.
- New debuts this year – PANAMA & ICELAND.
- David de gea from Manchester United is the world’s no. 1 goal keeper.
- No. 1 striker all time – Lionel Messi
- Best central Mid-fielder Kevin De Bruyne
- India was ranked 171 few decades ago but this year our team skills drastically improved bring it’s rank to 97.
- India in the 1950’s managed to qualify for the world cup but unfortunately withdrew.
FIFA CHART HISTORY:
|Year||Host Country||Winner||Runner up||No. Of Partcipants|
|1974||West Germany||West Germany||Netherlands||16|
|2002||South Korea & Japen||Brazil||Germany||32|
ALL TIME TABLE for CHAMPIONS
|Position||Name of team|
It’s not secret that this event is one of the most watched matches across worldwide fielding in a lot of interest from far and wide audiences.